Hey there! Welcome to any BougieLand newbies and for my regulars, thanks for coming back!
Let's try some of this. Not everyone joins in the conversation. Maybe I didn't touch on a topic that moved you to speak out. Well, here's your shot. Feel free to speak your peace or just say "hi!"
Here are my random thoughts for the day:
1. Who has seen Ciara's new video? I can't (won't) embed that hot mess here, but feel free to take a look. Folks were raving about it on Twitter. It's too much information for me. I know I'm getting old because I wanted a warning label and a parental lock code for this.
2. More videos gone to hell - Toni Braxton has a new album coming out in May. Her new video for Hands Tied involves her gyrating around a stripper pole in front of a room full of men. Le Sigh. I remember when she used to just stand in front of a mic and sing. I'm sorry... sang. Though it does seem that the older she gets, the fewer clothes she wears.
3. What the heck is going on in Arizona? They just passed a shady immigration bill. Senate Bill 1070 would require law enforcement officials in the state of Arizona to investigate someone's immigration status if there is "reasonable suspicion" that the person might be undocumented. Can you say profiling? And then the "Birther Bill": The Arizona House of Representatives on Monday voted 31 - 22 to advance a bill that would require Arizona's secretary of state to review a presidential candidate's birth certificate before that candidate could get on the ballot in the state. Ooo-kay? Preview to 2012 - It's going to get ugly.
4. Who's the next Dorothy Height? Do they even make 'em like that anymore? She was an advocate of women's rights and civil rights. She shared the platform with the Martin Luther King Jr. when he delivered his "I Have a Dream" speech in 1963. The recipient of more than 50 awards from local, state, and national organizations, Height received the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian honor, in 1994. Dr. Height was 98 and still about the business of equality when she passed away this week.
5. Am I the only person who cares that the NFL Draft is tonight? Okay then, am I the only one giving a side-eye to Ben Roethlisberger? I remember meeting this guy back in my high-rolling days and thinking he was a sweet kid. Since then, the Pittsburgh quarterback has been accused of two rapes and supposedly there are other unfiled incidents along the same lines. That's a lot of smoke to be no fire but hey - what do ya'll think?
That's my random 5. Any thoughts? Something on your mind you're dying to share, a topic you want discussed? Open mic, open comments. Play nice out there... the floor is yours.