The summer blockbusters started early and will continue well into August. In my eagerness to get it started, I dragged Beau Nouveau to Olympus Has Fallen and it almost killed the relationship dead. No Bueno. I like a good disaster movie. Olympus Has Fallen was not it. Even with the stellar cast. But I'm going to try one mo'gin. Friday, White House Down is coming out. It's eerily similar in that terrorists decide to tear up DC, grab the President and make a mockery of our defense systems. But I have high hopes for this one. Why?
- Channing Tatum shirtless or sleeveless - yep, I'm visual like that
- Jamie Foxx being funny. I know he has dramatic range but I like him best when he's being smart-alecky and witty. Also, since Django - he's looking awfully comfortable with a gun in his hand, isn't he?
- Produced by Independence Day and Day After Tomorrow folks - they know how to really destroy a city and make it look desolate. Color me shallow, I like it when things go boom in a spectacular manner on the big screen.
- It's a cute premise, they aren't trying too hard. Here's the official synopsis: In Columbia Pictures’ White House Down, Capitol Policeman John Cale (Channing Tatum) has just been denied his dream job with the Secret Service of protecting President James Sawyer (Jamie Foxx). Not wanting to let down his little girl with the news, he takes her on a tour of the White House, when the complex is overtaken by a heavily armed paramilitary group. Now, with the nation’s government falling into chaos and time running out, it's up to Cale to save the president, his daughter, and the country.
- Black president kicks ass? I'm here for it.
Who's going to see it? I'm going to take a look on Saturday. If you go, report back and let me know what you think.